Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Equipping the Called

6:00 Workout
7:45 Chat with hubby
8:30 Fix breakfast for whole family
9:00 Make lunch for hubby and start laundry
9:30 Math with Michael, Jonathan does "Pre-printing" workbook
10:30 Phone call with friend
11:00 Read with boys
11:30 Play Leap Frog Bingo--I like to call this "sneaky school"
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Read with boys
1:30 Boys down for nap/rest; Blogging

Doesn't that sound idyllic? That was actually our schedule this morning and it was pretty great! But lest you get the false idea that I'm perfect or that every day is like that, let me tell you what else happened.....
I battled it out with a 3-year-0ld who could be potty-trained, but refuses to wear underwear and when I finally compromised with a pull-up, he just went in that all morning instead of even trying.
I yelled at the boys to quit fighting.....again and again. The younger of whom ended up in time-out because he head-butted his older brother--twice.
I read a magazine through lunch and just nodded and said "Mmmmm-Hmmm" when necessary because I needed to shut down for a few minutes.
I am obviously not perfect (as if any of you who know me would think that anyway!), but I am called. Just yesterday I was listening to a CD called "From Pressure to Peace" by a speaker from a homeschool conference I attended. And while this was directed at homeschooling, it actually applies to a whole lot more. What the speaker said stuck with me: "God doesn't call the equipped. He equips the called." Did you catch that? He doesn't expect me to wake up every morning and have it altogether. He'll pull it together for me!
Because I don't believe in accidents where God is concerned, I know that He had me listen to that CD last night so that I would remember this morning to run to Him when my little guy was negotiating diaper-time. I actually told him I needed to think about it. I went into my room, sat on the floor (almost in tears) and prayed for guidance. I opened a child-rearing book to potty-training where God provided an answer that brought peace to my heart and Jonathan's. He equipped this called Mommy.
I am called. I am called to be a mom to my two boys, to homeschool them, to be a wife and support to my husband, to be the daughter of our King. I don't have to be perfect in these things--shoot, I don't even have to know what I'm doing. He's going to show me!
What are you called to do or be? Are you called to take your children to public school where you can make a difference? Are you called to homeschool? To be a Mom? A Dad? To do your best at a job you may or may not like? Are you called to read 300 pages a day as a student of SAASS? (Sorry, I had to include that just in case Chris reads this.) :)
God didn't call you because you can do it on your own. In fact, He called you because He knows you can't do it on your own. If you could do it on your own, you wouldn't have to rely on Him and relying on Him is exactly where He wants you to be.
So, here I am again, failing forward. We have bad days around here. Days where the boys watch too much TV and I yell too often. Those are the days I forget to rely on my Lord. And there will be more of them--of that I am sure. But just for today, I will remember that He has called me and He has promised to equip me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that God has called me and that He WILL equip me according to HIS purposes. I know I have been doing it on my own... I just needed my best friend and God to remind me of that:) I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this reminder! I've had many times that I haven't felt equipped but when I look back He got me through....I may read this post more than once!!

    ReplyDelete