Saturday, April 23, 2011

God, are you sure he got the right mom?!

My Michael LOVES crafts! His Mommy does NOT!! Some days I think he should have been my sister's child. (Of course, I don't REALLY think that, but......)

Friday I had gone to Birmingham and back for a doctor's appointment, taken them to base for homeschool bowling, ran an errand on base and finally arrived back home exhausted.

The first thing Michael said to me was, "Hey! Let's do a craft like play-dough or something!" I detest play-dough. It is messy and frustrating and I feel like we should keep the colors separate because that is what my Type A brain tells me. So, inwardly, I'm groaning when he says this.
But then Jonathan says, "Let's paint our tractors!" YES! I don't detest painting any less, BUT their grandpa had given them wooden tractors to paint and the kit came with everything they needed--paint, brushes, the tractor. All I had to do was put out our craft tablecloth and some water--that is MY kind of craft! So, they painted and I cleaned brushes between colors.

Jonathan did a very nice job on his two small tractors. And then he was done. He was happy with how they looked and was excited to have done them, but then he was done.


However, and here is where I began to think Michael needs a different mom, Michael began to get very frustrated because it didn't look exactly like it looked in his head. And I didn't know what to tell him! Nor did I know how to help him fix it! I thought about my sister and how often she has done painting projects only to tell me she didn't like how it turned out, yet it is perfect in my eyes. And I thought, "Julie would know what to say!"

I know he belongs to me and that God didn't somehow mix up who should be his mom (I also know I wouldn't trade him for the world!), but I
am thinking of enlisting her in a craft project for him the next time we are visiting. (Did you hear that, Julie?!) :)

On a side note, the very next day we dyed Easter eggs. This momma is crafted out! (Not Michael, though, he was back to his tractor as soon as his eggs were decorated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment