Sunday, December 5, 2010

Another birthday....

And then he turned 7...... I cannot begin to express how incredibly proud I am of Michael. He is turning into quite the big boy. Today he wore a white shirt and tie for his Christmas program and declared himself "Dashing!" Yes, that was the exact word he used and it was also a fitting description. :)

Michael is my thinker. He asks questions non-stop....mostly "Why?" Before I had children I claimed I would never grow tired of the questions because that is how they learn. I was wrong! I do grow tired of the questions because they are never-ending with him. And yet, they are changing.....He is really attempting to figure out this big, crazy world we live in. And the best part is that he is often trying to figure out the things of God. His latest theological question was, "Mommy, do you think if Adam and Eve hadn't sinned that we wouldn't have any sin in the world?" Or "Why didn't the king change his law when Daniel prayed to his own God instead of throwing Daniel into the lion's den and then changing the law?" Good question, buddy!!

I love the privilege of teaching him. My favorite part of our homeschool day is to listen to him read the
assigned passage of Scripture. What a blessing to be the one he is reading to! Do I love every day or even every moment of our school day? Heavens no!! We do battle when he refuses to cooperate and some days I would rather check things off my to-do list than explain action verbs to him. But when his face lights up because he aced his spelling test or he gets excited because he got to learn about hundreds and thousands or he is fascinated by a piece of history, then I am reminded why I do what I do.

He wants to be an inventor when he grows up. I'm convinced the movie "Meet the Robinsons" had something to do with this. :) He has all sorts of inventions in his head--a transporter, a machine to take you into the movie you are watching, a marker gun, etc. We just keep encouraging him because he could be our retirement fund. :) Ha! Ha!

He is gaining quite a sense of humor and his smile and laugh come quickly. I love joking around with him and watching him start to "get" it.


Michael was my buddy when he was first born and he remains my buddy today. My prayer is that he will remain my buddy all his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment