Thursday, August 12, 2010

P90X - The results are in!

Many of you know I have been doing P90X. Some of you have asked how it's going or if it's worth it. I would answer that with a resounding "YES, it's worth it!" But I will let you be the judge of that....

Two years ago I was told by my doctor that I needed to get my blood pressure under control or she would put me on medicine. BP meds at 36 wasn't really what I had in mind for my life, so I got to work. I lost weight, I worked out, I lowered my BP. Why am I telling you this? Because I want you to understand why the most important results of P90X to me are the ones that have to do with my heart health and cardio endurance. Yes, I can to more push-ups and more bicep curls; yes, I lost a little weight, but I'm most interested in the other stuff.

I lost only 8 lbs, but I lost 8% body fat (the true marker) over the 90 days. I think I could have lost more if I had stuck to their nutrition program more strictly and I plan to improve that when I start over. (Yes, I'm going to do it again!) :) I lost 2 1/2 inches in my waist, 1 1/2 inches in my hips and 1 1/2 inches in each thigh. My arms remain the same measurement, but they don't look the same!!! You can actually see definition in my biceps and thighs--I almost forgot I had muscles under there!! :)

I still can't do a pull-up and I'm okay with that.

Here is what I CAN do:

Before: 15 push-ups
Now: 30

Before: 4 1/2 inch reach past my toes
Now: 8 inches

Before: 90 sec wall squat
After: 125 sec

Before: 30 bicep curls with 10 lbs
Now: 20 bicep curls with 15 lbs

Before: 23 In & Outs (an ab move)
After: 55

Here is what I'm most proud of: my resting heart rate went from 70 to 60. After doing 2 minutes of jumping jacks before P90X (and feeling like I might die), my heart rate went from 180 to 120 recovery after 4 minutes. After P90X (I could actually still breathe and talk when I finished), it went from 178 to 108--a MUCH better recovery, which indicates a much healthier heart.

Do others have more dramatic results? Definitely. However, I am very pleased with my results and thrilled with how much healthier I feel. I just got home from the YMCA where I ran, without stopping, for 2 miles at a 10-minute-mile pace. That was unheard of for me 90 days ago. So, even though much of P90X is weight-lifting and toning-focused, it obviously is improving cardio endurance as well.

I plan to begin some form of P90X again next week. There were workouts I didn't care for (not because they are too hard but because I don't burn as many calories!) and I probably won't keep doing 6 workouts a week, but I'm going to do most of it again. I'd like to lose the 5% body fat that would move me from the "acceptable" category to the "fit" category. :)

So, what do you think? Was it worth it? :)

2 comments:

  1. I would say that it was DEFINITELY worth it! You've done a great job!

    Jason keeps bugging me to do it.....maybe this fall or winter I'll bite the bullet and give it a whirl!

    Please keep updating us on how you are doing! It's encouraging for me to read about other people success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has been whirling around in my head since I read it forever ago & I just think the before & after is the coolest thing.

    I have been working out for years now & never once thought of checking my heart rate- just if I can fit back in my jeans or not :)

    Good for you for accomplishing this and making a goal in the first place! =]

    ReplyDelete